Thursday, July 7, 2011

mi drop at di market

I am in Hellshire and just completed day 4 of the three week training here.  I live with Mabel who is delightful and is already telling me that she will miss me and to come back to her whenever I can.  She has taught me so much.  My first Saturday here, we went to the market in Kingston which is an amazing experience.  It is a veritable garden of humans, colors, smells, textures and sounds.  I was accompanied by Mabel, another PC volunteer, Sara, and her family".  I was taking in all the sights and suddenly tripped, lost my balance and fell down, not just on the sidewalk but in a puddle that I refer to as the "eternal bog of stench".  Everyone was horrified except myself and Sara who was laughing.  She helped me up and I exclaimed " Well, I am glad that I got that over with!"  I smelled like I had just had a fresh cow patty rubbed on me.  I thought poor Mabel was going to faint.  She was so upset that I fell like that.  I was led away by the women to a public restroom where I was instructed to strip down to my underwear while one woman went to buy a towel, another fetched a bucket of water and got some disinfectant to put in it and another went to buy me new clothes; mine had to be thrown away!  So there I was, this white woman stripped to undies being washed by a complete stranger.  Some women who came into the restroom stated how sorry they were that this happened to me in Jamaica.  One of the women returned with a lime green tank top and a purple skirt.  I put the new clothes on and my orange hat.  Sara took a picture of me in my new clothes and standing by the "eternal bog of stench" which I will download later.  Even though this was truly a hilarious episode, I must add that I experienced Jamaican hospitality first hand.  I was completely cared for and strangers came up to express concern.  I could not have been in better hands.  We continued and I enjoyed surveying all the fresh produce and fruits, many of which I had never seen before.  We got back to Hellshire by using bus and taxi and loaded down with bags of our purchases.  It was quite a day.  Sunday, I went to the beach with friends and we enjoyed swimming and people watching.  I had my first taste of fresh coconut water, very nice.

There is so much to tell about but time is limited so I will say that I am loving this experience.  I find it very stimulating to be with my new Peace Corps friends and staff and with the Jamaicans.  I am learning so much about the culture, language, food, music and the people.  Our training is intense and very useful, there is a lot of information on health and safety.  I am learning Patois and Mabel, who is a fabulous cook, is teaching me to make Jamaican food.  In the evenings, people are sitting outside or walking and there is a lot of visiting.  Mabel has lived here for 30 years and knows everyone.  I have learned that she is loved by all and she has children and adults who come to her for a meal or a listening ear.  It is a true community where everyone knows everyone and neighbors watch out for each other ----quite different from the American experience.

I am adjusting to the heat and enjoy cold showers. Everyday is a new adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Hello my friend~ You sound wonderful! Quite unburdened in fact, compared to the harried last few weeks you had preparing for your adventure. I am so glad for you. Please give Mabel a hug from your Tulsa friends and tell her we appreciate her taking such good care of you. Hugs and smiles to you...Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I have laughed so hard at your puddle experience. It is a good thing that I wasn't there or they would have thought we were half crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, this is soooo funny! What a way to become baptized into Jamaican Hospitality! Of course, we are glad you aren't hurt. Hopefully now you have that over with! It's great to hear all about your experiences with the other volunteers as well as the ones with Mabel. Wish we could all meet her! Maybe we will!!! Love you,
    Karrel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda...I have enjoyed reading your posts and to following along with your new adventure...you are quite an inspiration. You mentioned in a previous post that you were sweating due to the intense heat. If it is any consolation, we are having extreme heat warnings here in Tulsa and are suffering along with you!! LOL
    Enjoy your dream...stay in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda. I laughed so hard I hurt. then I began to run this through my mythalogical lens. My dear friend, this was a true rite of baptism into the lives of the people. Love you Anne

    ReplyDelete